Man’s best friend can be your flooring’s worst nightmare, but that doesn’t always have to be the case.
While there are countless pet owners out there who accept scratches and stains as par for the pet ownership course, one doesn’t have to sacrifice the state of their home or sanity for the sake of their precious fur pet.
Let’s face it, even the best trained pets have their messy moments – that’s why it’s important to invest in flooring that can stand up to them for the long haul. Here are just 5 flooring options to chew on that will bring harmony to your pet-friendly household.
1. Protect Your Investment With Area RugsTable of Contents [show]
In addition to transforming a room from bland to beautiful, area rugs provide comfort for both you and your pets.
For those not willing or ready to replace their current flooring for a more pet-friendly option, consider laying down rugs of organic fibres, such as sea grass, sisal, or mountain grass. These options look natural on hardwood and you just have to give them a shake to rid them of sediment, dirt and annoying pet fur. Be sure to make use of an area rug mat under your new area rug to help protect your existing flooring and to reduce movement of the area rug.
2. Are you Crazy for Considering Carpet?You might think that carpet and pets are a bad combination. But nowadays, carpet technology is better than ever. Advanced fibers and stain resistant technologies will allow you to choose a carpet that will look great in your home for many years, even if Fido is a member of your clan.
Carpet is the perfect choice for high-traffic and active areas as they are easy to clean and maintain. A good quality vacuum cleaner and an occasional professional cleaning is more than enough to keep your carpets intact for years to come. Just make sure to resist the temptation of light carpeting, unless you’re fine with mucky paw prints and pet fur always in your line of vision.
3. For the Love of Laminate FlooringLooking for a cost-efficient substitute for solid hardwood flooring? If so, laminate may be your best bet. Not only is it attractive and available in a wide range of styles, colours and textures, it can stand up to sharp pet claws much better than engineered or solid hardwood flooring. Nowadays, it’s almost impossible to differentiate some laminate products out there from the real deal.
Caring for your laminate floor is easy. Simply vacuum up pesky pet fir and mop up messes with a recommended laminate floor cleaner.
And, because of the floor’s top wear layer and construction, laminate is typically more scratch, dent, and stain resistant than traditional or engineered hardwood, making it an ideal choice for pet-friendly households.
Even the best behaved pets can get into some trouble from time-to-time, wreaking havoc on our homes. With click laminate floors, you can easily replace any damaged sections from your precious pooch instead of the entire floor.
4. The Hard Facts about Hardwood FlooringThese days, many homeowners are changing carpeted living rooms in favor of hardwood. It’s not hard to see why – hardwood flooring is an attractive alternative to carpeting. It’s durable, easy to clean and it can update the look of just about any home.
5. Tile TalkWhile tile is most popular in places that are ‘wet areas’ such as kitchens and bathrooms, it can virtually be used in any room in your home for its esthetic appeal.
In fact, this form of flooring has been around for centuries – dating all the way back to Roman Times. And when installed correctly, tile can last lifetime, even when pets are thrown into the mix.
Because of its hard surface, tile is extremely resistant to stains and moisture, making it the ideal choice for high traffic areas as well as a pet-friendly flooring option.
On days when your pet doesn’t make it in time to the nearest tree, messes can be easily wiped up and the occasional mopping will have your tile looking like new.
Final ThoughtsWhile our pets bring us joy and unconditional love, they can easily destroy our homes and drain our wallets. That’s why it’s important to pet-proof your home from the ground up – starting of course, with your flooring.
By ensuring that your floors will stand up to claw marks, messes and pet fir for many years to come, you’ll find that it is possible for man or woman to live harmoniously with their four-legged friend.
Just remember to review this list before you go shopping so you aren’t floored by all the options out there.
About Shawn Farina — Flooring Expert at Diverse FlooringShawn Farina operates Diverse Flooring, a family-run business in Maple Ridge, with his younger brother, Todd. He has been in the flooring industry for 18 years. Shawn is passionate about design and feels flooring has been a great avenue to help others make the best decisions for their homes.
“Flooring is something we all will at one time or another have to purchase. It’s really satisfying feeling to see when a client is truly happy with their choice in both the new flooring and our company.” – Shawn Farina